FAQ and Contact

Frequently Asked Questions

Is travel funding available for conference participants?

Unfortunately the AGHS is unable to offer travel funding to participants. We encourage participants to seek funding from their home universities. We can provide a letter of invitation to support funding applications. Contact us at aghstoronto@gmail.com if you would like to request a formal invitation letter.

Where can I stay while visiting Toronto?

We recommend that visiting graduate students try Airbnb for the most affordable accommodation options close to the University of Toronto. Unfortunately the hotels nearby tend to be higher-end and out of the price range for most graduate students. Neighbourhoods close to the campus are the Annex, Yorkville, Chinatown, and Little Italy. Further information about the conference location is available here.

Do I need a visa to visit Canada?

Many visitors to Canada are required to apply for Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) in advance of their visit. This is the equivalent of the Visa Waiver ESTA program in the United States. Some visitors not eligible for ETA will require a visa to enter Canada. Visit the Government of Canada website for further information about immigration requirements. Unfortunately we are unable to offer advice of immigration matters.

What is included with my registration fee?

For $15 CAD you will receive breakfast and lunch for both Thursday and Friday, along with coffee/tea and snacks throughout the day. You will also receive two drink tickets and appetizers at our conference mixer. Dinner on both nights will be on your own, but we can provide restaurant recommendations.

How long should my presentation be? Do I have to provide a paper in advance?

We ask that panelists keep their paper presentations to 15 minutes maximum to allow for discussant commentary and audience questions. Each panel will have three to four presenters and will last approximately 1 hour, 45 minutes. Participants do not have to provide a paper in advance of the conference, but we request that participants not make any substantive changes to the content of their papers as originally proposed in the abstract. Participants interested in being considered for the Best Paper Award will be required to submit a  complete paper by May 1, 2018. More information about the award is available here.

Will AV equipment be available for my presentation?

We will provide projection equipment, a sound system, and a computer. There will be a wired internet connection in the room for presenters, and wifi is also available through Eduroam. Presenters must indicate their AV requirements on the registration form. We suggest that presenters submit their powerpoint presentations or any other files they may wish to access during the presentation to us in advance so we can ensure file compatibility. Presenters are encouraged to bring their own VGA dongles, as we cannot guarantee technical compatibility with our projection system.

2017-2018 Organizing Committee

Chris Baldwin, Co-Chair
Lauren Catterson, Co-Chair
Tajdeep Brar
Katie Davis
Andrew Liu

If you have any inquiries about the conference, please email the organizers at aghstoronto@gmail.com.